Skip to content

Move OVER Betty Draper, this is my shake-n-bake recipe

January 11, 2010

Thanks to Mad Men and borderline insane European fashion designers, retro “is back”, so what better way to celebrate than with good ol’ shake-n-bake?

Two things that I do with this little bag of seasoning heaven:

1. Cut up raw chicken into bite size pieces, coat, cook, and serve enthusiastically, “look Simone, chicken McNuggets!”. She falls for it every time.

2. Slice up potato wedges, coat, cook, and serve with a fraction less enthusiasm (b/c she needs more protein > carb) saying, “look Simone, french fries!”.

A sucker is born everyday. 😉

Anyone else out there a huge fan of Mad Men? Best thing on TV in a long time, loooooove it!

Advertisements
10 Comments leave one →
  1. January 13, 2010 3:59 am

So my friends Kathy and Tracey tell me they use the Shake for fish and tofu – awesome ideas, will have to try these out next time. I mean, if you come to think of it, what the heck CAN'T you use the Shake for? Zucchini sticks – check…yam slices – check…green beans – check!Wait a sec, could it be that the Shake is a poor man's tempura?…hmm…ponder that.

2. January 13, 2010 9:59 pm

LOL I was so thinking the same thing re trying to shake-n-bake zucchini and carrots! I Also laughed at myself thinking hey it's kind of like tempura!Here's the tofu recipe from a vegan web site.1 Block Extra Firm Tofu1 Pkg Original Shake and BakeOlive OilMarinade1/3 Cup Light Tamari Soy Sauce1/3 Cup Teryaki Sauce1/4 Cup Maple Syrup or Other SweetenerDirectionsCut tofu into 1/2″ slices (one block makes about 8-9 slices), and then cut the slices in half to make fingers. Mix all the marinade ingredients in a bowl and pour over the tofu. Cover the tofu and let it marinade in the fridge for at least 2 hours (the longer you leave it in the marinade, the better it tastes. I usually let my tofu marinate all day).When you are ready to use the tofu, remove it from the marinade. Place the tofu in a bag with the shake and bake. Shake the bag well to cover all the pieces. Cover the bottom of a non stick frying pan with olive oil. Place all the fingers in the pan, and cook over medium heat until both sides are golden brown.When the tofu fingers are ready, pat them down with paper towel to get rid some of the excess oil. Serve immediately

3. January 13, 2010 10:03 pm

I found this veggie one today, looks easy enough.-Various sliced veggies -1 large egg-1 packet of Shake n' Bake coatingDirections1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees & line cookie sheet with tin foil. 2. Assemble your sliced veggies, and empty your Shake n' Bake into a large mixing bowl. 3. Beat an egg in a small bowl (it's okay to thin it out with a little bit of water). 4. Using tongs, dip the veggies into the beaten egg, and then roll in Shake n' Bake coating. 5. Place coated veggies onto the cookie sheet, and bake for 20 minutes, or until crispy. I'm SO trying this next time I shake n bake:)

4. January 14, 2010 5:36 am

I use Shake & Bake too but have only ever used with meat, never thought about veggies but like the suggestion. I sometimes use Corn Flake crumbs instead of Shake & Bake… they sell it in a box already crunched up! Just beat an egg, add some milk & crushed garlic in a bowl. Dip chicken (I cut them small like nuggets) in wet mixture and roll in Corn Flake crumbs (add s&p to crumbs). Bake on a baking sheet lined with parchment. I also make a easy honey mustard dip my kids like. It tastes (and looks) exactly like White Spot's honey mustard… just mix mayo, yellow mustard and honey.

5. January 14, 2010 5:41 am

Wow, awesome ideas you guys. Love the tofu and veggie ideas, and the home made Shake is great Susan, thank you. Growing up we used to bread fish with cornflakes, I wonder why we stopped?!

6. January 16, 2010 8:25 am

So tried the shake n bake with zucchini it was GROSS! need to research a different recipe!

7. January 16, 2010 9:46 pm

Oh no, that's too bad! I had such high hopes for zucchini, bummer!

8. January 17, 2010 8:02 am

Yes I was bummed it was also quite labour intensive (from the crack open the jar mom vs make your own puree mom!) Still I think I will try a different recipe and maybe sprits it with a bit of olive oil too.

9. January 18, 2010 12:36 am

Ok I have a good one… french toast… with butternut/sweet potato.1 egg1/3 jar of pureed sweet potato or squash baby foodpinch or 2 of cinnamon2 tsp maple syrup 2 slices of bread (any kind, I use whole wheat)beat egg, puree of choice, cinnamon and syrup well.Dip bread into itfry in non stick pan.I don't serve with syrup I just cut it up and they devour it!Also I usually use 3 eggs the whole jar and 6 slices of bread and a tad more syrup and make 6 slices serve 2 and cool 4 then pop them into freezer. Thaw in microwave for few min and toast in toaster to firm up a bit.

10. January 21, 2010 5:13 pm

Awesome Kathy, I'm going to try this on the weekend. I can't believe you sneak sweet potato into french toast. SO clever.