Skip to content

Banana-cocoa milkshake

July 15, 2011

To be fair, I should call this “Tammy’s milkshake” since she is the genius who came up with this little gem, then passed the recipe onto our friend Carolyn, who then made one for me this past weekend while we were visiting in Victoria. So let me start with a big thank you to Tammy & Carolyn: this milkshake will change my life now that I am battling the all-evil gestational diabetes (ok, borderline, but still must cut sugar out completely) during my final trimester. Just in case I haven’t said this yet, pregnancy sucks.  😦

And holy shite, let me just tell you all how scared I am about giving birth to a baby elephant.

Did any of you see that 16lb’er from Texas. Seriously….shoot me now!

Back to the recipe…this is by far my favourite milkshake around. It’s sugar free, lean, and delicious. You could add protein powder to it if you wanted to beef that up, or just enjoy it as is. Now if you are one of those suckers who spends $5 a day on a Vivanno at Starbucks, slap yourself in the face then dust off your blender. Oh, if you like, you can send me the $5 you save as I will put it towards my future tummy tuck. Β πŸ˜‰

Banana-cocoa milkshake

(You’ll need a good blender for this, ideally one that can chop up ice cubes)

Handful ice cubes

1 banana (you can use a ripe one, or frozen, or mix of both)

1 tbsp cocoa powder

approx. 1 cup milk

Blend away, pour, enjoy (guilt-free). And if you feel like sharing it with your family, go for it. Me…? Not a chance. πŸ˜‰

Sugar-free milk shake

Advertisements
6 Comments leave one →
  1. July 15, 2011 5:16 am

Sounds sooooo yummy! Will try this for sure.

• July 15, 2011 5:21 am

It is so delicious and naturally sweetened by the banana and milk. YUM!!! Let me know if it’s a hit in your house.

• July 16, 2011 2:59 am

We tried it today, and definetly a hit. Jake loved it too. πŸ™‚

2. August 1, 2011 12:39 am

Simone has also now started to drink this shake, yay! I have to pretend there is no fruit it in, so I usually send her out of the room to do something while I quickly peel and throw the banana in, but who cares, she has half a glass every morning, still leaving enough for me. And has started asking for it as a snack! Yippee! πŸ™‚

3. Allie permalink
    September 11, 2011 2:04 am

When my bananas are overly ripe (I like them firm), I peel them and pop then in the freezer. Instead of adding ice to the smoothie, a frozen banana adds creaminess and takes some of the stress off your blender.

• September 11, 2011 4:26 am

It took me years to realize a peeled frozen banana was much easier to deal with that an unpeeled one! I love the idea of using these instead of ice cubes in smoothies. Thanks so much for sharing your tip!